Monday, April 1, 2013

1969 AMX Rear Brakes

Today's piece du jour was to inspect the rear brakes on the '69 AMX. My original intent was to flush the brake lines with new fluid to remove any moisture absorbed while stored since 2006. At that time I had put rebuilt and sleeved 4-piston calipers in the front. I pulled the rear brake drums to inspect the brakes and discovered a weak seal on one of the wheel brake cylinders. The leakage was only noticeable by pulling back the boot. 




Minor brake fluid seepage is evident when the boot is pulled back. 

I also inspected the integrity of the metal brake line fittings to determine if the lines could be removed without destroying them. These are the original factory lines from 1969 and I prefer the extra trouble of saving them rather than simply reproducing, because I appreciate the originality. To loosen the brake line fittings on each wheel, I started by gently tightening them to break the treads free with less risk of rounding the hex head surface required when loosening. When they budged I then reversed course and loosened them enough to observe that the fitting was turning freely around the line - and not simply twisting and destroying the line. Then I tightened them back up for now so the fluid wouldn't be leaking all over the place and possibly damage the paint on a car that I park underneath the car rack. 


I stock a good supply of new parts for my fleet of Javelins. I had new rear wheel cylinders in stock. The same part number fits 1968-1974 Javelin and AMX as long as they are equipped with front disc brakes. I pulled the last pair from stock and reordered six more pairs from CHOICEof25.com so I can replace all four cars plus have another couple of sets. 


Next session I can replace the rear brake cylinders confident that all the bolts and fasteners are already loosened and that I have the necessary parts in-stock, ready to roll. 


No comments:

Post a Comment