Sunday, April 7, 2013

Turn Signal Cam Repair - 1969 AMX

Today's piece du jour was to fix the turn signal canceling system which came to me broken when I bought the car in 2006. But first, I would like to enter into the maintenance web log record, some parts inventory that came in. Here are the 6 pairs of rear wheel brake cylinders that fit 1968-1974 AMC AMX and Javelins that are equipped with front disk brakes. CHOICEof25 Automotive Department picked them up for me on manufacturers clearance. 

Today I also did some troubleshooting on the Alt lamp. I temporarily swapped out the voltage regulator on the 1969 AMX with a known good specimen from the fleet's 1970 Javelin. There was no change. The Alt lamp still glows dimly when it should be off. I loosened tightened all the alternator connectors to clean them and it did not make a difference. I checked battery with a volt meter and it was a over 13 volts while running and then the voltage began to float down after the engine stopped. So, the battery is charging and I am not too concerned that I will get stuck with a dead battery. I will revisit this when I can diagnose it more thoroughly. 


The horn buttons were removed with 3 screws from the back of the wheel. I had to chase the wheel puller threads using my Uncle Jake's old tap kit that he bequeathed to me in 1985. It worked great. Luckily, Uncle Jake lived during the SAE era, so the tools fit my old cars. 

This is the GoldmanMotor's steering wheel puller in action. The totally cracked steering wheel is typical for these old AMC's. I have nicer steering wheels in-stock but this one is fine for my purposes. 


This photo was taken after I partially removed the guts for examination cleaning and lubricating. I couldn't figure why the turn signal was so squishy until I checked a used steering column that I had in the warehouse. It was from an AMX that I junked in 1985. I noticed that the spare column had a couple of springs that are missing from this car. 

Here is the old steering column that has been in my warehouse since 1985 and today vindicated me for never throwing out anything I've owned for the past 50 years. 

Those 2 metal spring widgets running horizontal near the lower part of the assembly near my thumb are the 2 pieces that were missing on the AMX. Those are the parts that make a turn signal lever click into position. 

Here are those 2 spring widgets transplanted into the AMX steering column. 

Here is the AMX parked in front of CHOICEof25 after using the new turn signal parts to automatically cancel the  blinkers when it turned into the driveway! 



No comments:

Post a Comment