Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bleeding Brakes - 1969 AMX



The clean part is the new brake wheel cylinder. 


My one-man brake bleeding outfit. Kit consists of an empty Snapple bottle, a rubber hose, and a mirror. Flashlight is used to illuminate the jar so you can watch the air bubbles as you pump the brake.

 
I have a whole shelf full of expensive complicated bleeding equipment and none of them work as good as this.


This is my Plan B. If I still see tiny bubbles in the jar while pumping the brake pedal, that means the bleeder screw threads are sucking fresh air back into the wheel cylinder. That is where this secret weapon comes into play. I pressurize the master cylinder with this cover that I equipped with an air fitting. Just 10 pounds of air pressure usually does the trick and I let a few more ounces of fluid bleed out of the wheel cylinder or caliper while observing that the fluid looks clean and bubble free. 





No comments:

Post a Comment